Monday, May 11, 2015

Start Using That Journal!



Journaling is an amazing tool for reflection, self-discovery, and even healing. I’ve found journaling to be very therapeutic and helpful. I started when I was 14. I was traveling through Ireland and wrote down everything I saw, ate, and felt in my “travel journal”. I continued only writing in journals when I would travel. I later enjoyed reading my journals to re-live my trip and remember parts I may have forgotten. It wasn’t until I went to college that I started to write in a journal about my feelings and experiences. It took a while to get used to it. Sometimes I felt silly or was worried that someone would read it. This passed after it became routine. By writing every night, whether for five minutes or twenty, it became natural and part of my daily life.

My journaling helped because I expressed my feelings and felt so relieved after they were written down. Just that simple act released a lot of stress and tension. It also provided much introspection because I would gain clarity about a particular issue as I was writing. This was a great way to see how I truly felt about something. Some thoughts and feelings are hidden away and not found until you write.

If you start small, it doesn’t seem difficult to incorporate journaling into everyday life. Start by something small and keep repeating until you are comfortable writing a lot. You can even start with funny stories or quotes until you’re used to the idea of journaling.     Keep your journal in a safe spot so you don’t worry that others will read it. It’s easier to write down everything you feel when you don’t have to work about another’s opinion or judgment. It may be easier to start by just writing down what happened during the day, but it’s best to write about feelings, worries and/or significant moments once you’re more comfortable writing in your journal. If it’s too hard to deal with these feelings or problems alone, you can seek professional help. Just don’t hide the feelings away again!


Tips

  • ·         Set your journal and pen or computer in an accessible place so you’re always ready to write
  • ·         Start by something small to journal and keep repeating until you’re comfortable writing a lot
  • ·         Start with 5 minutes a day then add more minutes as you write more.
  • ·         You don’t have to write in sentences, sometimes it’s easier to draw pictures, just put words or thoughts on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment